Red hearts, pink hearts, candy hearts, chocolate hearts, sugar cookies, love cards. Theres no way around it, you can’t escape it, Valentine’s Day is here! If you’re in a romantic relationship, spend time together and multiply your love for each other. If you’re single, don’t despair, shower yourself with love and think about how far you’ve come, staying clean and sober. No matter your current situation, this day can be fun and enjoyable, sober and all!! Here are some tips to spread love and kindness this Valentine’s Day:
1. Send messages of love to those you care about, friends, family, coworkers, neighbors. Call, send a text, reach out and express how much they mean to you and how grateful you are to have their support in your life. The biggest gift you can give a loved one is that you remain clean and sober.
2. Start rebuilding damaged relationships. When in active addiction, you tend to focus on yourself and don’t realize how your loved ones feel. Relationships get damaged. On Valentine’s Day, take a step towards rebuilding those relationships that got damaged. Send a friend you hurt a valentines card or a short text expressing your appreciation and gratitude. Don’t expect a response, the point is to share how you feel. Remember, it takes time to rebuild relationships.
3. Spend time with loved ones. You are not alone in your recovery. Spend time with friends, family and those who are supportive. Go to a meeting, invite a friend or family member to Starbucks. If you choose to stay in, cook dinner for a friend or loved ones and reminisce on good times.
4. Take care of yourself. Take a bubble bath. Get a haircut. Get a manicure and pedicure (men, you too!). Pamper yourself. Celebrate how far you’ve come. Take a walk in the beach. Go on a picnic or to the movies. Try a new hobby. Rediscover life, clean and sober.
5. Volunteer your time. Volunteering is a great way to give back. Providing service and help to the homeless, poor or others in recovery is an important part of the recovery journey.
You can celebrate and enjoy Valentines while in recovery. Spread love today and every day in February specially to family, friends and those special to you. Happy Valentine’s day to all.